Some of the causes of cracked heels are dry air, lack of moisture, improper foot care, an unhealthy diet, aging, prolonged standing on hard floors and wearing the wrong types of shoes. Conditions like eczema, psoriasis, corns and calluses, diabetes and thyroid disease may also contribute to the problem. Dry/cracked feet are a sign of lack of attention towards your body and one of the worst nightmares for most women. The skin on the feet tends to become drier as there are no oil glands present there. This dryness causes the skin to crack.
Here are the quick and easy remedies :
- Apply sesame oil and rub the same on the cracked heel before going to bed. Cover it with a Cotton Socks and leave it overnight. Wash the feet the next morning. Do this for 3 days you will see improvement. In about a week’s time, it will vanish.
- Banana can be smashed like a paste and apply the same on the cracked heel. After 20 minutes, wash the feet in lukewarm water. Do this for about 7 days and the cracks will vanish.
- Apply wax (candle wax will do) and sesame oil, cover it with socks and wash it the next morning. All the remedies suggested so far need to be done only before going to bed.
- Mix one cup of honey to half a bucket of warm water. Soak your feet for about 15-20 minutes. Scrub off gently to obtain soft and supple feet.
- Mix the powdered oatmeal and olive oil to make a thick paste. Apply this over your feet, especially over the heels and any cracked parts. Leave it on for about half an hour. Rinse off with cold water and pat dry. Keep doing this till the cracks are invisible.
- Fill the foot basin with water and mix Epsom salt in. Soak your cracked feet in this for 15 minutes. Scrub to remove dead skin. Repeat this twice or thrice a week until your feet become soft. Epsom salt softens the skin and also soothes tired feet
- Apply shea butter on your feet and massage them for a minute or two so that the shea butter gets absorbed easily. Slip on some socks and leave the shea butter on overnight. Shea butter is a well-known skin moisturizer that hydrates and nourishes the skin. It also possesses healing properties and improves various skin conditions related to dryness because of its vitamin A and vitamin E content.
- The acidic property in lemons can be very effective in softening rough skin that leads to cracking. Soak your feet for 10 to 15 minutes in warm water with lemon juice added to it. Avoid using very hot water, which can cause your feet to dry out more. Scrub your cracked heels using a pumice stone. Wash your feet and pat dry with a towel.
- First soak your feet in soapy water and scrub your feet with a pumice stone. Wash your feet and then dry them thoroughly Apply Sesame or Coconut oil liberally on your heels and soles. Put on a pair of clean socks and leave them on overnight while you sleep. In the morning, your heels will be noticeably softer. Repeat this for a few days until the cracks in your heels are gone completely.
Whatever said above will give you permanent results, provided you follow good food habits.