First let us understand what is this Adrenal Gland.
Your adrenal glands are two thumb-sized organs that sit above your kidneys and are part of the endocrine system. Also known as the suprarenal glands, they’re involved in producing over 50 hormones that drive almost every bodily function, many of which are essential for life.
Hormones affect every function, organ and tissue in the body directly or indirectly. They react to each other as well as respond to conditions in the body in an intricate and highly sensitive balancing act. Adrenal glands play a huge role in stress response. Your brain registers a threat — whether it’s emotional, mental or physical. The adrenal medulla releases adrenaline hormones to help you react to the threat (the fight-or-flight response), rushing blood to your brain, heart and muscles.
Adrenal Fatigue Symptoms
What happens when the adrenal glands stop producing hormones efficiently? Every bodily function is affected, and as adrenal hormone levels shrink, even the normal “get-up-and-go” you get from them disappears. Adrenal fatigue symptoms include:
- Morning fatigue or trouble waking up
- Decreased libido
- Muscle weakness
- Poor focus
- Bone loss
- Increased allergies
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Cravings for sugar
- Hair loss
- Weight gain
- Muscle tension
- Inability to tolerate high-carb/potassium foods unless paired with fat and protein
If you’ve experienced any of these adrenal fatigue side effects, don’t worry, because there are now many natural ways to treat and support your adrenal system.
Reducing stress will help support proper adrenal gland function.
- Enjoy hobbies and relaxing pastimes.
- Engage in meditation and prayer.
- Learn and utilize breathing techniques for relaxation.
- Spending time outside in the sun and in nature.
- Set up and maintain a consistent, reasonable work schedule.
Since sustained stress is a major contributor to adrenal fatigue and adrenal gland dysfunction, then learning to reduce or avoid stress will help reduce the risk of further damage.
Make Sleep a Priority
If you want to improve adrenal gland function, then you should make getting enough sleep a priority.
- Set a period before going to be in which you unwind and relax.
- Soaking in a warm bath with essential oils can help you relax.
- Drinking chamomile tea can also help you to relax.
- Realize that every hour of sleep before midnight is worth two after midnight.
Sleep deprivation affects all of the body’s functions; getting 6 to 10 hours can help your body recharge itself and improve you adrenal gland function.
Get Moderate Exercise
Moderate exercise can also help you reap the benefits of improved adrenal gland function.
- Find a balance between not exercising at all and overdoing it.
- Do a moderate aerobic, cardio or strength workout no more than three to four times per week.
- Make sure that you give yourself rest days between workouts.
Over-exercising without rest taxes your adrenal system and hormone production. No exercising leaves your body stagnant and hampers proper blood circulation.
Dump Your Old Dietary Habits
Though it is a more difficult behavioral change, dumping your old dietary habits will help improve adrenal gland function.
- Dump alcohol and caffeine from your diet.
- Get rid of sugary drinks, sugary snacks, energy drinks and artificial sweeteners.
- Get rid of packaged and highly processed foods, especially processed food items.
- Get rid of soybean, canola, saffola, sunflower and other refined oils.
All of the foods that you are dumping are highly inflammatory and contain loads of chemical toxins that hamper all of your proper bodily functions, especially the endocrine system and your adrenal glands.
Consume Healthy Fats
Replacing the oils you dumped with healthy fats will improve adrenal gland function.
- Use non-hydrogenated oils like coconut oil, sesame oil, avocado oil, mustard oil and nut oils for cooking.
- Consume foods that are high in omega 3 fatty acids.
The amino acids found in proteins help support proper adrenal gland function.
Staying hydrated is a simple, but powerful way to up your adrenal gland function.
- Drink two glasses of lukewarm water first thing in the morning, half an hour before meals and before bed.
- Throughout the day try to make your water intake equivalent in ounces to your weight in pounds. For example, if you weigh 160 pounds (approx 75 kgs) you should drink 160 ounces of water a day.
- Adding ¼ tsp of rock salt or citrus juice to your water can help make it even more effective.
Staying hydrated makes all of your body’s organs function better, but it is especially important for flushing out toxins and reducing inflammation.
Enjoy Berries and Nuts and sweets made out of jaggery
We took away your sugary snacks, so we’re replacing them with berries and nuts as a way of boosting adrenal gland function.
- Consume a handful of nuts, especially Brazil nuts and almonds, as a snacking alternative.
- Other alternative to sugary snacks are blueberries, strawberries, chikkies, sweets made out of jaggery.
The fiber in both berries and nuts is beneficial to help clear out the toxins in your colon. In addition, nuts and sweets made out of jaggery add to your protein intake as well.
Change the Salt You Use
Even changing the type of salt that you’re using can help give your adrenal gland function a boost.
- Get rid of processed salt, which is mostly sodium.
- Opt for Rock salt or sea salt.
Essential Oil Mix
The proper mix of essential oils can also help to boost adrenal gland function.
- Blend 5 drops each of rosemary oil and clove oil in 1 Tbsp of coconut oil.
- Massage the oil mixture into the lower back just below the ribs a couple of times a day.
- You can use the mixture as bath oil also.
These two oils blended into coconut oil provide immune support, relieve stress, increase proper circulation and give you added energy, all of which help give adrenal gland function a boost.
Leafy Green, Colorful, and Cruciferous Vegetables
Eating your veggies takes on a new meaning when you’re doing it in order to up adrenal gland function.
- Add leafy green vegetables like lettuce, spinach and kale into your diet.
- Beets, carrots, bell peppers and tomatoes are just a few of the colorful vegetables to consume.
- Add Brussels sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower into your diet as well.
- Eating these vegetables raw will improve their efficacy.
The vitamins and minerals in these vegetables are essential elements in providing the proper nutritional support that the cells in your adrenal glands need to function at their best.
Having your adrenal gland function at its best is one of the most beneficial ways to help improve your overall wellness and give you an energy boost. An optimal adrenal gland function can ward off the lack of energy, fatigue and increased anxiety, which stem from adrenal fatigue. Make use of these remedies and behavioral changes to bring your body back to youthful vitality.