To increase the memory power, you can try the following remedies which will give you definite results :
Almonds are an excellent Ayurvedic remedy to help improve memory and brainpower. They are rich in antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids that boost memory. Due to their rich antioxidant content, almonds are good for your eyes, too.
- Soak 5 to 10 almonds in water overnight.
- The next morning, peel the skin and grind the almonds.
- Boil this paste with one glass of milk.
- Add some jaggery or honey for taste.
- Drink it daily for 30 or 40 days.
Black Seed (Nigella Sativa)
Black seeds (scientific name, Nigella Sativa), also called kalonji, have great mind-sharpening potential, thanks to their antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and neuron-protecting properties.
A study published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology found that those who took two 500 mg capsules containing pure ground black seed powder daily showed improved cognition, memory and attention compared to those who took a placebo.
- Mix a little honey in one-half teaspoon of ground black seeds. Eat it twice daily for at least a few weeks.
Indian gooseberry, also called amla, is used in Ayurveda to enhance memory power and strengthen the nervous system.
- Take one to three teaspoons of Anwala churna three times a day for at least a few weeks.
- Another option is to mix one teaspoon each of Indian gooseberry root powder and white sesame seeds, ground into a powder. Add one teaspoon of honey to this mixture. Eat it once daily for a few days.
This Ayurvedic herb has great mental benefits. It works as a brain tonic and has antioxidant and neuroprotective effects.
A 2008 study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine found that brahmi (scientific name bacopa monnieri) helped improve word recall memory and decrease depression and anxiety. The study was conducted on healthy individuals age 65 and older.
- Consume one to two teaspoons of juice extracted from brahmi leaves two or three times a day. You can also add a little honey.
- Alternatively, you can mix one-quarter to one-half teaspoon of brahmi powder in a cup of warm milk, add a pinch of cardamom and drink it once or twice daily. You can also add a little clarified butter, also called ghee.
Coconut oil can help fuel the brain cells and thus improve memory and cognitive function. It is also believed to help prevent dementia and fight against Alzheimer’s disease. In addition, it will boost your energy, reduce cholesterol and improve the health of your skin and hair.
- Eat one teaspoon of organic, cold-pressed, virgin coconut oil twice daily on a regular basis.
- You can also add coconut oil to your baking goods, salads and smoothies.
Cinnamon and Honey
Cinnamon and honey are good for relieving nervous tension and improving memory. Research indicates that simply smelling cinnamon can help enhance memory and cognitive function.
Plus, it is believed that eating honey at night before going to sleep helps prevent nocturnal metabolic stress. It also promotes sleep, which plays a critical role in the consolidation of memory.
- Mix a pinch of cinnamon in about one teaspoon of raw honey.
- Consume this mixture daily at night for at least a few months.
Asian ginseng is traditionally used in Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine as a memory enhancer. Scientists, too, are studying the memory-boosting potential of this herb. You can also use it in combination with ginkgo biloba.
Ginseng should not be taken for a prolonged period of time, but you can take it in cycles. You can take this herb for two or three weeks, take a break for three weeks and then start again.
- Eat a well-balanced and nutritious diet including vitamins A, B12, C, beta-carotene, folic acid, zinc, iron, calcium and magnesium.
- Avoid high-fat diets and replace saturated fats in your diet with healthy fats.
- Include herbs and spices like holy basil, turmeric and black pepper in your regular diet as they help boost memory. You can also drink green tea as it is full of antioxidants.
- Give your brain a workout by practicing brain exercises, such as solving a challenging Sudoku puzzle or crossword.
- Try mnemonic devices to help remember things better.
- Engage in regular physical exercise as it increases oxygen to the brain and stimulates nerve cells to multiply.
- Get proper sleep. Sleep deprivation compromises your brain’s ability to operate at full capacity.
- A few minutes of sun exposure can also help improve brain function as it provides vitamin D.
- Keep stress in check.