Bronchitis is an inflammation, swelling or infection of the bronchial tubes between the nose and the lungs. It is usually caused by a virus, bacteria, or particles that irritate the bronchial tubes.
Symptoms associated with bronchitis include a cough with mucus, difficulty breathing, chest pain, nasal congestion, fatigue, muscle aches and fever. Bronchitis can be acute or chronic.
Ginger, often used for treating the common cold, can also help with bronchitis. The anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting properties present in ginger help relieve irritated, inflamed or swollen bronchial tubes.
- Add half a teaspoon each of ground ginger, cinnamon and cloves in a cup of hot water. Stir well and drink the mixture for a few days to get relief.
- You can make an herbal tea by adding one teaspoon each of ginger powder and black pepper to a cup of boiling water. Let it steep for a few minutes, then add some honey. Drink it twice a day.
- You can also combine one teaspoon each of ginger powder, pepper, and cloves. Take it three times a day with honey or milk.
Due to its antibiotic and anti-viral properties, garlic is highly beneficial for treating bronchitis, especially acute bronchitis.
- Take three garlic cloves.
- Peel and chop them.
- Put them in a glass of milk and boil.
- Drink it at night before going to bed.
The anti-inflammatory property of turmeric is good for treating the cough associated with bronchitis. Follow this remedy to expectorate the excess mucus and soon you will get relief.
- Add one teaspoon of turmeric powder to a glass of milk.
- Boil it.
- Drink it two or three times a day. For faster results, do this on an empty stomach.
NOTE: This remedy is not suitable for people who have gallbladder stones, hyperacidity, stomach ulcers or obstructive jaundice.
Steam therapy is very effective when suffering from bronchitis. Adding eucalyptus oil will soften the mucus in the obstructed airways and its antibacterial properties will help in the healing process.
- Simply add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to boiling water and cover your head with a towel so that you can inhale the steam. If eucalyptus oil is not available, you can use pine oil or tea tree oil.
- Eucalyptus oil can also be applied externally on the chest. This will help you expel the mucus and improve the functioning of the respiratory system.
Gargling with salt water several times a day is a great way to treat various symptoms of bronchitis. Simply add one teaspoon of salt to a glass of warm water and gargle with it.
Be sure to use the exact amount of salt, as too much salt can cause a burning sensation in the throat and too little will not be as effective. You can gargle with salt water as often as you need.
There are two benefits of this remedy. First, it will soothe the inflammation in the throat, and secondly, it will cut through some of the mucus causing irritation to the throat.
Honey is a natural way to deal with the cough that occurs with bronchitis. The antiviral and antibacterial properties present in honey will be soothing for the throat. At the same time, honey will boost your immune system.
- Adding one teaspoon of honey to your regular cup of tea will help a lot when suffering from bronchitis.
- You can also add honey to warm lemon water to treat congestion and throat inflammation that often accompanies bronchitis.
The expectorant effect of onions helps dissolve mucus and phlegm, thereby providing relief from bronchitis. At the same time, onion juice will prevent further buildup.
- Simply eat one teaspoon of raw onion juice every morning on an empty stomach.
- Also add raw onions in your salad or use onions while cooking.
- Combine one teaspoon of sesame seeds, one teaspoon of linseed or flaxseed, a pinch of common salt and one teaspoon of honey. Take this mixture daily before going to bed.
- You can also mix one-half teaspoon of dry sesame seed powder and two tablespoons of water and take it twice daily.
There are several spices which help cure bronchitis. Add dry mustard and flour in a ratio of 1:4. Stir it well adding sufficient water to make a runny paste. Apply some olive oil on chest. Now, spread mustard mix on a clean muslin or washcloth. Apply it on chest. Ensure that the paste is not too hot; otherwise, it may burn your skin. Place it until it gets cool. Keep a check, if the plaster causes discomfort.
Bay leaf is one the simplest herbal cures for bronchitis. It can be taken as tea. To prepare tea, heat a cup of water till it starts boiling. Take a fresh bay leaf and put it in boiling water. Let it steep for a few minutes.
- Another option is to soak bay leaves in hot water. Apply it as poultice on chest. Cover the chest with a towel. Rewarm it whenever it cools down.
Chew leaves of holy basil to keep lung infection at bay.
Adhatoda Vasica (Malabar Nut)
Chew the leaves of this plant. For the best results chew them along with the leaves of holy basil. You can also mix the liquid extract of the plant with some honey and have 2 teaspoons of it on the daily basis.
Licorice tea is a therapeutic remedy for inflamed throat. Add licorice roots in the boiling water. Steep it for a few minutes. Drink 1-2 cups daily. Its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiviral properties reduce swelling resulted due to bronchitis.