A heel spur occurs when calcium deposits build up on the underside of the heel bone. Heel spurs are especially common among athletes who do a lot of running and jumping. Also, women who wear high heels have a significantly higher incidence of heel spurs. Still, it can happen to anyone.
Heel spurs often do not cause any symptoms. However, at times, they can cause heel pain or pain in the rear of the foot, especially while walking, jogging or running.
Turmeric has curcumin that works as a potent painkiller and anti-inflammatory agent. So, regular consumption of turmeric may help ease the pain and inflammation of a heel spur.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in 1 cup of milk. Heat it over a low flame. Drink this twice a day for speedy recovery.
Another popular alternative treatment for heel spurs is alfalfa. This herb contains many minerals like selenium and calcium required for healthy bone formation. Also, it can help alleviate pain and inflammation.
- Add ½ to 1 teaspoon of alfalfa seeds to a cup of boiling water.
- Cover and let it simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Strain, then add a little honey.
- Drink this tea 3 or 4 times daily until the pain and inflammation is gone.
- Then drink 1 to 2 cups of alfalfa tea daily to keep the symptoms at bay.
Giant Milk Weed
Giant Milk Weed flowers are generally used as Garland for Lord Ganesha during Ganesha Festivals and many other festivals. You need to look for these along with the leaves. If you visit a Nursery and ask for Giant Milk Weed leaves or Madaar you will be able to get it. The common names for this leaves are :
- English – Blue madar
- Hindi – Madaar. Aka, Mandar, Akavan, Aak
- Gujarati – Aakado
- Bengali – Akanda, Akone
- Malayalam – Neela Erukku
- Kannada – Ekka or Yekka
- Tamil – Erukku, Vellerukku
- Telugu – Jilledu
Once you get these leaves, you will see that the leaves would be covered with whitish powder. Do get this powder wiped by using a cloth.
- You can heat a brick in hot sun and once it is quite hot, cover the pain point area by the leaf and tap the leaf using the brick slowly till the heat of the brick subsides.
- You can also heat a Stone in hot frying pan and by using a cloth, remove the heated stone from the pan, and tap the leaf placed on the heel pain area till the heat subsides.
- Repeat this exercise 2-3 times a day.
For Web Consultation, please click the following link to know the procedure.