Dizziness is something that most of us experience at some point in our lives. It is a feeling of light-headedness, unsteadiness or loss of balance and can cause fainting. Dizziness with a feeling of spinning is referred to as vertigo, which is different from the nonspecific light-headedness. Please don’t worry. Few things that you need to follow are given below :
Deep breathing is one of the best ways to deal with dizziness. It will help provide an adequate amount of oxygen to the brain, which in turn will relax the nervous system and reduce dizziness.
- Sit or lie down in a comfortable position.
- Place one hand on your abdomen, place the thumb of your other hand against one nostril and close your mouth.
- Inhale slowly through your open nostril and try to fill your belly with air.
- Hold the breath in, close both nostrils and purse your lips.
- After 2 to 3 seconds, exhale slowly and try to extract air from your belly.
- Repeat these steps 10 times.
- Then, sit quietly for 5 minutes and breathe normally to avoid getting dizzy again.
Dehydration is a common cause of dizziness. This can be due to not drinking water for a long time or failing to rehydrate your body during and after exercise. Dehydration can also result from vomiting or diarrhea that causes excessive fluid loss.
- When you feel dizzy, try drinking a glass of water. To keep dehydration and dizziness at bay, drink an ample amount of water throughout the day.
- You can also try drinking herbal tea with a little honey, soups and broths, or fruit juices.
Hunger can make you more prone to dizziness. So, when dizziness hits, try eating something. In fact, it’s a good idea to avoid remaining hungry for long periods of time if you are prone to dizziness.
- Eat a snack that is high in carbohydrates like a chocolate bar or a banana.
- Any fruit high in water content will do the trick.
- A bowl of yogurt with fruit is another good option.
- A handful of roasted nuts like cashews, almonds or walnuts may also work.
Ginger is a time-tested remedy for dizziness and the nausea that often accompanies it. It stimulates blood flow to the brain and other parts of the body, which helps reduce the intensity of dizziness.
- Chew on a small slice of fresh ginger root or suck on ginger candies to overcome dizziness.
- Drinking ginger ale or ginger tea a few times daily will help prevent dizziness.
Another excellent remedy for dizziness is lemon. The vitamin C in lemon boosts the immune system and helps the body fight illness. In addition, several other nutrients in lemon make it a natural energizing agent. It can quickly hydrate the body to keep you feeling energized and refreshed.
- Squeeze the juice of ½ lemon into a glass of water. Mix in 2 teaspoons of jaggery powder. Drink it to get relief from dizziness.
- Another option is to add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, a pinch of black pepper powder and salt to a glass of water. Drink it 3 times a day, as needed.
Indian gooseberry, also known as amla, is a popular Ayurvedic remedy for dizziness. Amla is a rich source of vitamins A and C that boost your immunity, improve blood circulation and help treat and prevent dizziness.
- Grind 2 amla fruits (de-seeded) into a paste.
- Mix in 2 teaspoons of coriander seeds and a cup of water.
- Let it sit overnight.
- The next morning, strain and drink the water.
- Repeat daily for a few days.
Due to the natural sugars in honey, it can instantly boost your energy level and prevent dizziness.
- Mix 2 teaspoons each of honey and raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a glass of cold or hot water. Drink it 2 times a day.
- Alternatively, mix 1 tablespoon each of honey and lemon juice in a glass of warm water. Drink it to get immediate relief from dizziness.
- Another option is to mix together 1 teaspoon each of honey and cinnamon powder and have it once daily in the morning for a few weeks.
Eating a healthy diet can help prevent dizziness by eliminating many of the conditions that contribute to it. Eat iron-rich foods like liver, tofu, spinach, almonds, dates, lentils, fortified breakfast cereals and asparagus.
- Include foods rich in vitamin C in your diet, such as oranges, lemons, bell peppers, broccoli, grapefruit and spinach.
- Also, eat foods rich in folic acid like green leafy vegetables, liver, sprouts, fortified cereals, peanuts, bananas and broccoli.
- Avoid iron-blocking beverages like coffee, beer and wine.
Eat small meals several times a day and do not skip meals, especially breakfast.
Over and above all the above, you must follow Art of Self Treatment method of eating food. Go through the following article.