One of the most common concerns with growing kids is the issue of gaining a good height. Since this is a detrimental age for physical growth, it is justified for you to be concerned.
Height is mainly governed by genetics of the family. Your height and your spouse’s height will be a major factor determining the upward distance your child’s body is set to traverse. Both you and your spouse being short does not imply that your child is ordained to that height. At the same time, both the parents being tall doesn’t necessarily mean that your little one will stretch and grow 6 feet tall in no time! Medical science claims that physical growth does not stop till mid-twenties. There are several lifestyle changes that help in a big way in contributing towards fostering your child’s height in the pre-teen years. So, while having realistic expectations, one can follow these simple steps to grow to your full potential.
- Include a lot of carbohydrates in your child’s diet. The calories gained will give the body ample energy to grow.
- Plenty of calcium can help promote bone growth for your kid. Insist on dairy products and green vegetables- an excellent source of calcium.
- Encourage your kid to spend a lot of time in the sun to get plenty of vitamin D. Mushrooms also helps, as they are a good source of the wonder vitamin. Vitamin D is known to promote bone and muscle growth in children, and a deficiency has been shown to stunt growth and cause weight gain in teenage girls.
- Include protein, the miracle potion to aid physical growth, regularly into your child’s diet. Lentils, pulses, sprouts, beans, eggs, and all rich sources of protein.
Proteins provide an essential building block for the body to grow well.
- Study reveals that zinc deficiency can cause stunted growth in children. So, up your child’s zinc intake. All vitamin supplements contain zinc. A daily intake of a multi-vitamin should be enough to meet the body’s zinc requirement.
- Discipline your child’s eating schedule. Eating 3 meals a day, with small snacks between main meals is a good practice.
- Keep your young one’s immune system strong, as an illness can stunt growth. Plenty of vitamin C ensures a strong immune system. Stock your kitchen with citrus fruits, for your kid to pick a quick healthy snack on the go.
Coax your kid to indulge in sports. Swimming, biking, skipping, dance, yoga and a whole lot of outdoor sports will help your child grow.
There are tons of exercises for growing taller, like pull ups, which your kid can easily follow at home. Being regular with these exercises can make a big difference!
Straight spine, shoulders stretched in a perfect alignment with the curve of the neck, hips in a straight, perfect proportion over the feet; encourage you young one to practice a good posture with all these considerations in mind. It not only makes them look taller, but also more confident.
A positive attitude coupled with high self esteem will make up for any lacking height. Inspire your children to feel good about themselves. Encourage them to participate in various school activities, take up a hobby and go for something that will make them feel good about themselves. Being taller might be nice, but it is not the end of the world if you are short. Give them example of several legends who are short in height, but high in stature. Give your children examples of legendary personalities like Sunil Gavaskar, Sachin Tendulkar, Shahid Kapoor, Rani Mukherji, and many others, who ensured that their height didn’t stop them from doing their best.
The same growth principle we followed, when our children were babies, applies even at this age. Body grows and regenerates tissue while at rest. Persuade your kid to sleep like a baby for 8-10 hours every night and let nature work its wonders.
Given below is the list of foods which can help you in increasing your height naturally.
Calcium is vital for the growth and maintenance of strong bones and acts as a height booster. Milk is an excellent source of calcium. Besides, it has vitamin A which preserves calcium in the body. It also contains protein which helps in building our cells. Milk can be easily digested and facilitates maximum assimilation of proteins. Skimmed milk is free from fat and contains 100% protein. At least 2 to 3 glasses of milk is recommended daily.
Fruits and Vegetables
Besides increasing height, fruits and vegetables play a crucial role in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. They are a great source of vitamins, fibre, potassium and folates. Vitamin A helps in the development of bones and tissues. Fruits such as cantaloupes, grapefruit, papaya, mango, passion fruit, watermelon and apricots are abundant in vitamin A. Vitamin A is also found in vegetables like carrots, peas, pumpkin, broccoli, spinach, cabbages, sweet potato etc. Besides, citrus fruits, berries, potatoes and tomatoes also contain vitamin C which help in healthy growth of bones and contributes to the height of a person.
Starches and Grains
Starches and grains are the main sources of energy in our body. Besides, they provide vitamin B, fibre, iron, magnesium and selenium. Since they provide the required calories, their consumption should be increased, especially during puberty, when children go through a rapid growth phase. Brown rice, popcorn, whole wheat and whole-grain pasta are beneficial for proper growth.
Eggs are also a good source of proteins. Their white albumen has 100% protein but you should avoid the yoke as it contains fat. Eggs also contain vitamin B2, which is also known as riboflavin. In order to increase height, 3 to 6 eggs should be taken on a daily basis.
Soybeans contain the highest proteins among all the vegetarian foods. The pure protein contained in soybeans, improve bone and tissue mass. For increasing height, 50 grams of soybeans are recommended every day. Vegetarians can fulfil their protein requirements from soybeans which are extremely nutritious.
As the name suggests, coral calcium is obtained from sea corals. It helps in increasing bone mass, thus causing the bones to grow in length. This calcium should be taken at an early age to reap the maximum results.
Thus, height is a genetic factor but it can also be significantly influenced by proper nutrition. Eating healthy food together with adequate physical activity can contribute in a great way in increasing your height.