Being underweight can be due to excessive physical activity, skipping meals, too much fasting, emotional stress, genetic factors, lack of sleep, a weak digestive system, and some diseases like cancer, tuberculosis, diabetes, hormonal imbalances, hyperthyroidism or anorexia.
It’s important to take steps to increase your body weight. Being underweight can lead to bone loss, heart problems, infertility, anemia, a weak immune system and frequent illness.
Proper diet and exercise can help you gain weight.
Figs are mainly made of polyunsaturated fats, which add healthy calories to your diet. Also, figs contain a good amount of carbohydrates that will help you gain weight.
- Soak five to six dried figs in water overnight. The next day, eat them in two parts during the day. Do this daily for about a month.
- Alternatively, soak two dried figs overnight in milk and eat it before breakfast. Follow this routine for two months.
Raisins are rich in essential fatty acids that help with weight gain. Plus, raisins provide important nutrients to the body.
- Eat about one-fifth cup of dried raisins throughout the day for about a month. This is one of the easiest ways to gain weight.
- Alternatively, soak one-fifth cup of raisins and five to six dried figs in water overnight. The following day, eat them in two parts. Follow this routine for about a month.
Clarified butter is an excellent source of saturated fat and calories, hence it can increase your body weight. Plus, clarified butter helps your body absorb more vitamins and minerals that help lubricate stiff joints and give your skin a healthy glow.
- Mix one tablespoon of clarified butter with one tablespoon of sugar.
- Eat this mixture twice daily, at least 30 minutes before eating your lunch and dinner.
- Follow this routine for a month.
Mangoes are a delicious, juicy fruit that are rich in minerals and vitamins, and free of sodium, cholesterol and fat. The body stores the fructose from the mango as energy and fat, thus helping you put on weight. But eating mangoes alone will not aid weight gain. You need to eat them along with milk.
- Simply drink a mango milkshake twice daily for a month.
- Alternatively, eat one ripe mango followed by a glass of milk. Do this two or three times a day for a month.
Potatoes are a rich source of carbohydrates and complex sugars. So, including more potatoes in your diet will ensure weight gain.
- Eat one serving of grilled or baked potato daily for one or two months.
- You can also prepare potato chips at home in a healthy oil like sesame oil and have them just twice a week for one or two months.
Bananas have a good amount of calories that will give you an instant energy lift and help you gain weight.
- Eat one to two ripe bananas for breakfast.
- Then drink a glass of warm milk, mixed with a little jaggery and one teaspoon of clarified butter.
- Follow this breakfast routine for a month.
Almonds are rich in polyunsaturated fats, which add healthy calories to your diet.
- Add three almonds, two dates and one dried fig to a glass of milk and boil it.
- Allow it to cool and then strain the milk.
- Drink the warm milk and eat the boiled almonds, figs and dates.
- Do this daily for one or two months.
Fresh pomegranate juice mixed with one tablespoon of honey and a bit of rock salt increases appetite.
Drink coconut milk daily, as it is full of healthy fats and is very nutritious. Buy coconuts, grate it in mixi, add cold milk if you wish and drink it without mixing anything.
Midday sleep plays a crucial role in gaining weight. Take a nap of about 45 minutes to 1 hour, post afternoon meal or lunch.
Noodles and Pasta
Noodles and pasta are rich in calories and have high amount of carbohydrates. They are easy to make and also saves cooking time.
- Drink 8 glasses of water every day to keep yourself hydrated.
- Eat healthy calorie foods like sweets, chocolates, ice-cream, and cakes that are rich in calories, moderately.
- Cook food in healthy oils and fats.
- Consume more dairy fats like milk and cheese.
- Never eat fruits on an empty stomach, as it will shed your weight.
- Avoid fluids before lunch because they lessen your appetite.
- Quit smoking, as it may cause weight loss.
- Refrain from performing excess physical work.