Intestinal Worms is a word which evokes disgust and recoil in most people. However, it is also true that most children get intestinal worms during the initial years of their lives. It can be quite unsettling to see your child suffering from worm infection, but one must remember that this is very common and getting rid of worms is also very simple.
How does child get infected by worms?
A child may get worm infestation from contaminated food or water.
A child can also get worm infection from other infected children in play areas or creches or school. The eggs and larvae often hide under the finger nails and can pass on easily in case of contact.
Child may also get worms through infected soil, while playing on ground.
Nutmeg or Jaiphal
Grind or grate nutmeg on a grinding stone and make a paste using a little water. Since nutmeg is bitter, you may add a little jaggery to nutmeg paste. This can be given to toddlers as well as older children to prevent intestinal worm infestation.
Asafoetida or Hing
Mix a pinch of hing or asafoetida powder in a glass of water and give this to child suffering from intestinal worms, early in the morning for a week. This will help get rid of the intestinal worms.
Carrom seeds/ Ajwain seeds
- Take 1/2 teaspoon of ajwain seeds and mix with same amount of jaggery. Give this to child twice a day.
- Add 1 tsp ajwain seeds in a half a litre of water and boil for 4-5 minutes. Strain and give this water to your child 5-6 times a day to keep her/ him worm-free.
Raw or Unripe Papaya
- Extract juice from raw papaya by grinding in a mixer and squeezing juice out of it.
- Take 1 tablespoon of this juice in a glass.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey to this.
- Now add 4 tablespoons of warm water and mix well.
- Give this to child in the morning on empty stomach.
- Continue this for a week to get rid of worms.
- Include garlic in your everyday meals to keep your child worm-free.
- Apply sesame oil on the pan. Don’t pour oil. Use your fingers and just apply oil on the pan. Put 2 garlic cloves along with the skin of the garlic and heat it in sim.
- Once the skin becomes black or dark brown in colour, remove the skin and ask your child to eat it every morning in empty stomach.
Bitter gourd or karela or pavakka
Grind bitter gourd to extract juice and mix it with honey and warm water. Give this to child twice a day.
- Add two tablespoons of peeled and crushed pumpkin seeds to three cups of boiling water. Let it steep for 30 minutes. Allow it to cool, and then drink it. Try to fast for a day and drink the juice of boiled dry prunes to help cleanse the intestines before taking the pumpkin seed infusion.
- Mix together one tablespoon of roasted and crushed pumpkin seeds with an equal amount of honey. Eat this mixture each morning on an empty stomach for a week. Then include a laxative food like a banana or kiwi in your breakfast.
Pomegranate Tree Bark
The bark, root, stems as well as the leaves of the pomegranate tree contain anthelmintic properties and this is why pomegranate is considered a good remedy for intestinal worms. The alkaloid punicine present in pomegranate tree bark is highly toxic to intestinal worms and especially tapeworms.
- Add a two-inch piece of pomegranate tree bark to one cup of water.
- Boil it until half the amount of water evaporates.
- Allow the mixture to cool and drink it three times a day, at intervals of a couple of hours.
- Then eat a purgative fruit like banana or avocado to facilitate a bowel movement.
- Follow this remedy for a few days.
When using this remedy for children, reduce the dosage of the decoction to one-third. Eating pomegranate fruit or drinking its juice can help prevent attacks of intestinal worms.
Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, a precursor for vitamin A which can destroy the eggs of intestinal worms. Plus, the vitamin C and zinc present in carrots also support the immune system. A strong immune system will fight off parasites quickly.
- Grate two carrots.
- Eat them on an empty stomach first thing in the morning.
- Avoid eating anything else during the morning.
- Do this every day for a week to get rid of intestinal worms.
Cloves have antiseptic, bactericidal and anti-parasitic properties that help destroy parasitic eggs and kill intestinal worms within the body. Plus, cloves can help prevent future episodes of infestation.
- Add one teaspoon of powdered clove to a cup of hot water.
- Cover the cup with a plate and allow it to steep for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Drink this three times a day for a week.
Always use freshly ground clove powder to get the maximum health benefits.
- Extract the juice from raw turmeric. Add a pinch of salt to one teaspoon of this juice. Drink it in the morning on an empty stomach. Repeat daily for a week.
- If you want to use turmeric powder then add one-half teaspoon of the powder and a pinch of salt to one-half cup of warm water and ask your child to drink it daily for five days.
- Alternatively, add one tablespoon of turmeric juice to a glass of buttermilk. Drink it once daily for three consecutive days.