Dental cavities, also referred to as caries, are holes in the teeth caused by tooth decay. Decay usually occurs due to a bacterial infection that causes demineralization and destruction of the hard tissues in the teeth.
The first step toward preventing cavities and stopping existing cavities from becoming worse is to take good care of your teeth. Brush your teeth for at least 2 minutes twice a day, in the morning and before bedtime. Floss once a day and also clean your tongue daily.
Serve Real Food :
Feed your kids quality food. Eliminate processed and packaged food and fill you family’s plates with high quality, season whole foods. Eating a diet of nutrient-dense, fresh foods will ensure that your kids are getting all of the vitamins and minerals they need for proper bone and tooth formation.
Eat Fat-Soluble Vitamins :
Making sure that your kids are getting adequate amounts of fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) will help them to develop strong and healthy teeth and will help the remineralization process of the teeth. The best sources of these essential vitamins can be found in grass fed dairy, pastured eggs, and cod liver oil. Quality matters when it comes to food.
Best Food Sources of Fat Soluble Vitamins:
- Vitamin A: butter, egg yolks, fish, shellfish and cod liver oil
- Vitamin E: butter, nuts, seeds, and dark green leafy vegetables
- Vitamin K: egg yolks, butter, dark leafy vegetables, and vegetables from the cabbage family
As you can see, the best sources of fat soluble vitamins are good quality meats and healthy fats. Our family takes cod liver oil every day to boost immunity and to ensure that we are getting our Vitamin A and D.
Reduce Sweets – Even Natural Sugars :
Eating sweets, even natural sugars from fruits can lead to tooth decay by causing calcium to be leached from bones and teeth. And blood sugar swings , especially a lot of high blood sugars, can lead to dental decay and disease.
Add more Strawberries into your diet
Not only because they are high in Vitamin C and antioxidants, but also because they have a natural exfoliating effect due to the malic acid content. The malic acid helps to whiten teeth while removing harmful tartar.
Coconut for tooth decay
Just grate coconut everyday and without mixing sugar, just ask your kid to eat the grated coconut.
Every time you urinate, clench your teeth firmly to plant them more deeply into the jaw.
Clove is one of the most important ingredients for treating any kind of dental issue, including cavities. Due to its anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antibacterial properties, clove can help alleviate pain and prevent the cavity from spreading.
- Dilute 2 to 3 drops of clove oil with 1/4 teaspoon of sesame seed oil. Put a few drops of this solution on a cotton ball and dab the solution on the affected tooth. Repeat every night before going to bed.
- Another option is to gently chew a whole clove to extract its oil. Then keep the clove under your tongue for several minutes.
Salt can also be used to treat cavities due to its antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It can reduce inflammation, ease pain, draw out any infection and prevent growth of bacteria in the mouth.
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water. Swish a mouthful of this solution around in your mouth for 1 minute, concentrating on the affected tooth. Follow this treatment 3 times a day until your symptoms subside.
- Alternatively, mix 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a little mustard oil or lemon juice to make a paste. Massage the gums gently with this paste for a few minutes, then gargle with warm water. Repeat twice daily for a few days to kill bacteria.
Oil pulling is an age-old practice that can reduce cavities as well as bleeding gums and bad breath. It helps clean the mouth of harmful bacteria that are responsible for different types of dental problems.
- Put 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in your mouth.
- Gently swish it around for about 20 minutes.
- Spit it out. Avoid gargling or swallowing the oil.
- Rinse your mouth out with warm water. Use salt water for added antimicrobial benefits.
- Brush your teeth as usual.
- Do this daily in the morning, on an empty stomach.
This can also be done with coconut oil.
Being rich in antibacterial as well as antibiotic properties, garlic is often recommended for tooth decay and cavities. It can also provide respite from pain and promote healthier gums and teeth.
- Prepare a paste from 3 to 4 crushed garlic cloves and 1/4 teaspoon of rock salt. Apply it on the infected tooth. Leave it on for 10 minutes before rinsing with a mouthwash. Do this twice daily for a few weeks to reduce cavities.
- You can also rub garlic oil on the affected tooth to get quick relief from pain due to a cavity.
- Eating raw garlic regularly can also provide effective results.
In Ayurveda, turmeric is often used to provide respite from cavity pain. It has antibacterial as well as anti-inflammatory properties that help keep the gums healthy and prevent tooth decay due to bacterial infection.
- Apply some turmeric powder on the affected teeth. Leave it on for a few minutes and then rinse well with warm water.
- Another option is to mix 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder with a little mustard oil and use it to massage your teeth and gums. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then spit it out.
Repeat either of these remedies once or twice daily for at least a few days.
Another well known herb that can help reduce cavities is Indian gooseberry, also known as amla. Being high in antioxidants and vitamin C, it combats bacteria and fights infections.
It also promotes healing and development of connective tissue that benefits the gums. Additionally, it cleans the mouth and helps get rid of bad breath.
- Eat one fresh amla daily.
- You can also take 1/2 teaspoon of dried amla powder along with 1/2 glass of water daily.