A stomach ache is a very common problem with varying degrees of discomfort and related symptoms. You can experience mild to sharp pain in the stomach or abdomen, stomach cramps, gas, nausea, diarrhea, bloating and vomiting.
Some common causes of stomach aches are indigestion, gas, heartburn, a stomach infection, overeating and lactose intolerance. However, stomach pain can also be due to more serious issues like an ulcer, a hernia, gall stones, a urinary tract infection and appendicitis.
When you have a stomach ache, it can be really difficult to concentrate on anything. Irrespective of the reason behind the stomach ache, you want it to go away fast.
Some natural and simple home remedies can give you quick relief. These home remedies are particularly effective for stomach aches due to indigestion, gas, bloating and similar conditions.
Ginger has antioxidant as well as anti-inflammatory properties that help regulate the digestion process, in turn reducing stomach pain. Plus, ginger helps decrease the production of free radicals as well as increase digestive juices and neutralize stomach acids.
- Cut one medium-size fresh ginger root into thin slices.
- Bring one cup of water to a boil and add the ginger slices. Boil for three minutes, and then simmer for another five minutes.
- Remove from heat, strain, and add honey to taste.
- Sip it slowly.
- Drink ginger tea two or three times a day to ease stomach ache and improve digestion.
For a stomach ache due to indigestion, fennel seeds can give you quick relief as they have carminative, diuretic, pain-reducing and antimicrobial properties. Fennel seeds can give you relief from other indigestion symptoms like gas and bloating, too.
- Add one teaspoon of crushed fennel seeds to a cup of hot water and let it steep for eight to 10 minutes. Remove from heat, allow it to cool and strain it. Add a little honey and drink it slowly.
- Alternatively, you can chew one or one and one-half teaspoon of fennel seeds after a meal.
You can use either of these remedies three times a day to reduce a stomach ache.
Asafetida, also known as hing, has antispasmodic and antiflatulent properties that help treat stomach aches caused by gas or indigestion.
- Simply add a pinch of asafetida to a glass of warm water, mix it well and drink it two or three times a day. You can also add a pinch of rock salt. This remedy is equally effective for both a stomach ache and gas.
- Alternatively, add one teaspoon of asafetida to a cup of warm water. Soak a cotton cloth in the solution and place it on your stomach for 10 to 15 minutes. This will soothe the stomach and reduce pain. Do this several times a day.
Yogurt is good for your stomach’s overall health. In fact, yogurt with live cultures (good bacteria) improves digestion and relieves stomach aches due to indigestion.
- Mix two tablespoons of plain yogurt and a pinch of salt in a cup of water.
- Add three teaspoons of juice from fresh coriander leaves.
- Finally, mix in one-half teaspoon of cardamom powder.
- Drink this one hour after eating your meals to ease a stomach ache.
You can also eat plain, unsweetened yogurt several times a day until you notice improvement in your condition.
When suffering from a stomach ache, you should eat only bland food. Rice water is a bland food that acts like a demulcent, which means it relieves inflammation of the stomach lining and reduces pain.
- Wash one-half cup of white rice thoroughly.
- Boil six cups of water in a pan and then add the rice in it. Cook the rice uncovered.
- When the rice becomes tender, strain the water and allow it to cool.
- Add one-half teaspoon of honey.
- Sip the warm rice water slowly.
- Drink it twice daily.
You can also eat rice with yogurt as a bland food.
Please also go through the following article and understand your problem better and use appropriate remedies :
For web consultation, please click the link below :