The fact that people raise this question is because they find it extremely difficult to wake up at the time they want to. It is one of their biggest challenges in their life.
It’s frustrating, isn’t it? You want to become an early riser.
You know that waking up early is one of the best ways to be more productive. You know that many of the world’s most successful entrepreneurs are early risers.
Yet no matter how hard you try, you can’t seem to stop hitting snooze. You don’t have to let productivity slip through your hands forever.
So what needs to be done ?
Ask yourself a question. How serious I am ? Do I really want to wake up at 5 AM tomorrow ? If the answer is “Yes” to both these questions, then you can wake up at 5 AM. Having said this, please note it is easier said than done. You cannot stop the 5 more minutes urge in the morning. This extra 5 more minutes will invariably become one or two more hours. If you follow the following tips, you can surely win the battle.
- The first thing that you should do while hitting the bed the previous night is to sit on the bed before lying down. Sit for few minutes, close your eyes and imagine a big wall clock right in front of your eyes . Imagine the small needle of the clock is at 5 and the big needle is at 12. It is 5 AM right ?
- For about 21 times, keep telling yourself “I will wake up at 5 am tomorrow”. For adapting yourself to a new habit, you have to practice doing it for 21 days. Only then this practice will become a habit. Buy a Class mate note book and write down a page “I will wake up at 5 am tomorrow”. Write this for 21 days.
- Set your alarm in your mobile device and keep it far away from your reach. When the alarm rings, it should not be within your reach. The alarm normally rings for a longer time and you will be compelled to get up from the bed if you have to switch it off.
- Wear a warm cloth in the night. Avoid sleeping in your vests (banian). Wear a T-Shirt and on top of it, wear a Sweater and then go to sleep. When the alarm at 5 rings up, you will start sweating in the morning. People tend to sleep more if they are wearing vests because it will be cold in the morning and the urge to cover yourself with the warm cover will stop you from getting up in the morning.
- The previous night, before hitting the bed, drink atleast 1 litre of luke warm water. You should force yourself first to go to toilet and pass urine. Only after passing urine you should drink 1 litre of warm water. In the morning when the alarm rings, your bladder will be full and you will feel the urge to get up.
- Get always excited to wake up at 5 in the morning. Think about the fresh air you will get, the morning fragrance, people around you walking in the Park and on the Roads, the lovely bird chirping, the silence and calmness and then go to sleep.
- Have you ever missed your 6.00 am morning flight or train ? 9 out of 10 times, you would have succeeded in reaching the railway station or the airport on time. Right ? Why is that so ? The fear of missing the train or flight makes you wake up on time. Use peer pressure to wake up time. It creates accountability. To ensure that you don’t miss on your daily waking up at 5 am in the morning, identify 1 new friend every morning at the park for 21 days. Take their phone nos. Everyday you will meet a new person in the park, develop friendship, take their permission and commit yourself that you will call them between 5.05 – 5.09 in the morning following day. Request them to call you at 5.10 am if you don’t call them. Set both your mobile watch to match each other. The fear of losing respect and image will definitely make you wake up at 5.00 in the morning.
- Download a mobile app “Haptik”. It is a virtual assistant. Set a wake up reminder call in this app. Sharp at 5 am in the morning, you will receive a call from the Virtual Assistant. If you don’t pick up the call, you will receive an SMS also. It’s free download.
- Penalise yourself for few days if you don’t wake up at 5 AM. The penalty should be heavy. Say Rs. 500 – 1000 should be the penalty. Tell yourself that if you don’t wake up at 5, then you will give this amount as donation to some Charity and be sincere and honest to yourself. Donation amount will not come back to you. Punishing yourself for not doing certain things is one of the best way to do those things the way you want. You will become disciplined.
- Inspite of doing all this for 21 days, if waking up at 5 am doesn’t become your habit, you can ask me a question then.